Codes and Frequencies
For sample children age 3 to 17 years, EMOPEV indicates whether the sample child ever had an emotional or behavioral problem that lasted 3 months or more.
The Field Representative's Manual states that these terms are respondent defined.
Affirmative responses to EMOPEV received further questions included in the survey.
- Age when first noticed emotional problem: Time period (EMOAGETP)
- Age when first noticed emotional problem: Number of units (EMOAGENO)
- Ever received treatment for emotional/behavioral problem (EMOTRETEV)
- Received treatment for emotional problem, past 12 months (EMOTRETYR)
- Times anyone saw doctor or counselor for emotional problem, past 12 months (EMOTRETYRX)
- Missed school cuz emotional problem, past 12 months (EMOMISSYR)
- Number school days missed due to emotional problem, past 12 months (EMOMISSYRX)
- Attended special classes due to emotional problem, past 12 months (EMOCLASSYR)
- Took medicine for emotional/behavioral problem, past 12 months (EMOMEDYR)
- Ever saw counselor about emotional/behavioral problem (EMOCOUNSEV, 1981, 1988)
- Last saw counseler about emotional problem: Within past year (EMOCOUNSYR1981, 1988)
- Needed help for emotional/behavioral problem, past 12 months (EMONEEDYR1981, 1988)
- Now taking medicine to control behavior (EMOMEDNOW 1981 only)
- Still seeing counselor about emotional/behavioral problem (EMOCOUNSTIL 1981 only)
- Seeing counselor about emotional/behavioral problem: Recode (EMOCOUNSR 1981 only)
- 1988: Sample persons age 3-17.
- 1988 : SAMPWEIGHT