Codes and Frequencies
For sample children age 3 to 17 years (and those that they did not have a developmental delay, learning disability, or emotional/behavioral problem in 1988) , this variable indicates if the sample child ever saw a psychiatrist, psychologist, doctor, or counselor about any emotional, mental, or behavior problem.
The Field Representative's Manuals do not specify what type of counselor should be included, therefore this term is assumed to be respondent defined.
Variables related to EMOCOUNSEV are included in the 1981 and 1988 survey.
- Last saw counselor about emotional problem: Within past year (EMOCOUNSYR1981, 1988)
- Needed help for emotional/behavioral problem, past 12 months (EMONEEDYR1981, 1988)
- Still seeing counselor about emotional/behavioral problem (EMOCOUNSTIL 1981 only)
- Seeing counselor about emotional/behavioral problem: Recode (EMOCOUNSR 1981 only)
The change in universe between the surveys is substantial in that only children who did not have any developmental, learning or emotional difficulties were asked this question in 1988, whereas all children received this question in 1981. This strongly limits the comparability between the two surveys.
- 1981: Sample persons age 3 to 17.
- 1988: Sample persons age 3-17 who do not have a developmental delay, learning disability, or emotional/behavioral problem.
- 1981, 1988
- 1981, 1988 : SAMPWEIGHT