- Sample Sizes: Number of HH and Personal Records in NHIS, by year.
- Sample Design: Overview of the NHIS sample design.
- Sampling Weights: Overview of sampling weights in the NHIS.
- Variance Estimation: General guidance on analysis and variance estimation with NHIS data.
- Adjustment Factors for Income over Time: Historical Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U)
- IPUMS Health Surveys Family Interrelationship Variables
- Healthy People 2020: Selected Variables to Monitor the Healthy People 2020 Objectives
- Summary and Key Insurance Variables: Guidance on Using NHIS Insurance Variables
- Private Insurance Definitions: Changes in the NHIS Definition of Private Insurance
- Insurance Data Collection: Changes in the NHIS Collection of Data on Insurance
- Condition Records and Condition Variables: Overview of individual-level variables constructed from pre-1997 condition records
- Injury and Poisoning Supplement Variables: Overview of the Injury and Poisoning Supplement
- Adult Functioning and Disability & Quality of Life Supplements: Overview of variables included in the AFD and QOL supplements
- Variables to Monitor the Affordable Care Act: Variables designed to monitor the implementation of the Affordable Care Act
- Occupation and Industry Variables: Harmonized occupation and industry classifications for 1969 to the present
- Link NHIS Public Use Files to IPUMS NHIS Data: Link additional variables from the original NHIS public use files (that are not yet in the IPUMS NHIS system) to an IPUMS NHIS data extract.
- General Instructions for Opening an IPUMS NHIS Extract on Your PC