Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used a healing ritual or sacrament for their own health during the past 12 months (PRASPIRITYR) and had used a healing ritual or sacrament to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (PRATREAT), PRACON1 reports the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated with a healing ritual or sacrament.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with a healing ritual or sacrament. (See PRATREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to PRACON1, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use a healing ritual or sacrament?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in PRACON1, PRACON2, and PRACON3.
Respondents were also asked how much a healing ritual or sacrament had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from a healing ritual or sacrament for each of the three most bothersome conditions: PRACON1HELP, PRACON2HELP, and PRACON3HELP.
Variables similar to PRACON1, which report the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1)
- Chelation (CHECON1)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON1)
- Special diet (DITCON1)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1)
- Massage (MASCON1)
- Naturopathy (NATCON1)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON1)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1)
For more information on the full range of variables related to a healing ritual or sacrament, see PRASPIRITYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months and have used this healing ritual or sacrament to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT