Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used a special diet for their own health during the past 12 months and had used a special diet to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (DITTREAT), DITCON1 reports the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated with a special diet.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with a special diet. (See DITTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to DITCON1, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use a special diet?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in DITCON1, DITCON2, and DITCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much a special diet had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from a special diet for each of the three most bothersome conditions: DITCON1HELP, DITCON2HELP, and DITCON3HELP.
Variables similar to DITCON1, which report the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1)
- Chelation (CHECON1)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON1)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1)
- Massage (MASCON1)
- Naturopathy (NATCON1)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON1)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON1)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1)
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used at least one of these special diets for two weeks or more for health reasons during the past 12 months and have used at least one of these special diets to treat at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT