Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used massage for their own health during the past 12 months (MASYR) and had used massage to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (MASTREAT), MASCON1 reports the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated with massage.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with massage. (See MASTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to MASCON1, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use massage?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in MASCON1, MASCON2, and MASCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much massage had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from massage for each of the three most bothersome conditions: MASCON1HELP, MASCON2HELP, and MASCON3HELP.
Variables similar to MASCON1, which report the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1)
- Chelation (CHECON1)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON1)
- Special diet (DITCON1)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1)
- Naturopathy (NATCON1)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON1)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON1)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1)
For more information on the full range of variables related to massage, see MASYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for massage during the past 12 months and have used massage for at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT