Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used naturopathy for their own health during the past 12 months (NATYR) and had used naturopathy to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (NATTREAT), NATCON1 reports the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated with naturopathy.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with naturopathy. (See NATTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to NATCON1, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use naturopathy?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in NATCON1, NATCON2, and NATCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much naturopathy had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from naturopathy for each of the three most bothersome conditions: NATCON1HELP, NATCON2HELP, and NATCON3HELP.
Variables similar to NATCON1, which report the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1)
- Chelation (CHECON1)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON1)
- Special diet (DITCON1)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1)
- Massage (MASCON1)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON1)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON1)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1)
For more information on the full range of variables related to naturopathy, see NATYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for naturopathy during the past 12 months and have used naturopathy for at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT