Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used naturopathy for their own health during the past 12 months (NATYR) and had used naturopathy to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (NATTREAT), NATCON3HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using naturopathy to treat the third of the three conditions considered most bothersome (NATCON3).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with naturopathy. (See NATTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to NATCON1, NATCON2, and NATCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use naturopathy?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think naturopathy helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in NATCON1HELP, NATCON2HELP, and NATCON3HELP.
Variables similar to NATCON3HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the third of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON3HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON3HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON3HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON3HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3HELP)
- Massage (MASCON3HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON3HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON3HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to naturopathy, see NATYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for naturopathy during the past 12 months and have used naturopathy for a specific health problem or condition and the health problem or condition specified was listed third as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT