Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used natural herbs for their own health during the past 12 months (HERYR) and had used natural herbs to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (HERYTREAT), HERYCON3HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using natural herbs to treat the third of the three conditions considered most bothersome (HERYCON1).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with natural herbs. (See HERYTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to HERYCON1, HERYCON2, and HERYCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use natural herbs?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think natural herbs helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in HERYCON1HELP, HERYCON2HELP, and HERYCON3HELP.
Variables similar to HERYCON3HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the third of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON3HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON3HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON3HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3HELP)
- Massage (MASCON3HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON3HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON3HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON3HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to natural herbs in 2002, see HERYR. For information on herb variables from 2007, see HERMO.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used natural herbs for their own health and have used natural herbs to treat a specific health problem or condition and the health problem or condition specified was listed third as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT