Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used a healing ritual or sacrament for their own health during the past 12 months (PRARITYR) and had used a healing ritual or sacrament to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (PRATREAT), PRACON3HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using a healing ritual or sacrament to treat the third of the three conditions considered most bothersome (PRACON3).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with a healing ritual or sacrament. (See PRATREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to PRACON1, PRACON2, and PRACON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use a healing ritual or sacrament?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think a healing ritual or sacrament helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in PRACON1HELP, PRACON2HELP, and PRACON3HELP.
Variables similar to PRACON3HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the third of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON3HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON3HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON3HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON3HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3HELP)
- Massage (MASCON3HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON3HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON3HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to a healing ritual or sacrament, see PRARITYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months and have used this healing ritual or sacrament to treat a specific health problem or condition and the health problem or condition specified was listed third as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT