Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had ever had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment (PRARITEV), PRARITYR reports whether the person had had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment in the past 12 months.
Healing rituals/sacraments, along with prayer, were one of many alternative health treatment modalities included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. For the full list of alternative health treatments covered in the NHIS, and for general background information about the Alternative Health Supplements, see ACUYR.
The 2002 Field Representative's Manual provides these definitions:
These definitions were not routinely shared with respondents.
In 2002, sample adults with a positive response in PRARITYR were asked a series of other questions about the following topics: importance of using healing rituals/sacraments; whether healing rituals/sacraments were used to treat a specific medical condition, and, if so, what that condition was; and the reasons for using healing rituals/sacraments.
Respondents who indicated that they had ever had healing rituals/sacraments performed for their own health or treatment (PRARITEV) and that they had used it in the past 12 months (PRARITYR) were asked follow-up questions about their use of healing rituals/sacraments.
- importance of use of prayer (PRAIMPORT)
- whether used sacrament for specific health problem (PRATREAT)
Persons who indicated in PRATREAT that they had used healing rituals/sacraments in the past 12 months to treat a specific health problem were asked to specify the condition treated. There are 74 total variables for specific conditions that were treated by healing rituals/sacraments. See PRATREAT for more detail and the full list of conditions that persons could indicate were treated with healing rituals/sacraments. Analysts interested in the conditions that healing rituals/sacraments were used to treat may also wish to consult the following variables:
- first condition for which prayer was used (PRACON1)
- degree of help from prayer, 1st condition (PRACON1HELP)
- second condition for which prayer was used (PRACON2)
- degree of help from prayer, 2nd condition (PRACON2HELP)
- third condition for which prayer was used (PRACON3)
- degree of help from prayer, 3rd condition (PRACON3HELP)
- condition count for prayer (PRACONNO)
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have ever had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT