Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had prayed specifically for their own health (PRASELFYR), asked or had others pray for their own health (PRAOTHYR), participated in a prayer chain or prayer group for their own health (PRAGROUPYR), or had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment (PRARITYR) during the past 12 months, PRAIMPORT reports how important the respondent's use of prayer/spiritual healing had been to his/her health and well-being.
Interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, how important was your use of prayer or spiritual healing in maintaining your health and well-being? Would you say very important, somewhat important, slightly important, or not at all important?"
Similar variables are available that report the importance of other forms of complementary and alternative medicine for respondents' health and well-being.
- acupuncture (ACUIMPORT)
- ayurveda (AYUIMPORT)
- biofeedback (BIOIMPORT)
- chelation (CHEIMPORT)
- chiropractic care (COMIMPORT)
- special diets (DITIMPORT)
- energy healing therapy (EHTIMPORT)
- folk medicine (FOKIMPORT)
- homeopathy (HOMIMPORT)
- hypnosis (HYPIMPORT)
- massage (MASIMPORT)
- naturopathy (NATIMPORT)
- relaxation techniques (RELIMPORT)
- yoga, tai chi, or qi gong (YTQIMPORT)
- natural herbs (HERYIMPORT)
- high dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYIMPORT)
Researchers interested in how important prayer/spiritual healing was to a respondent's health may also wish to consult the following variables available for 2002:
- used prayer to treat specific health problem (PRATREAT)
For more information on the full range of variables related to prayer and spiritual healing, including definitions, see PRARITYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have prayed specifically for their own health, asked or had others pray for their own health, participated in a prayer chain or prayer group for their own health, or had a healing ritual or sacrament performed for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT