Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used natural herbs for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months (HERYR), HERYIMPORT reports how important the respondent's use of natural herbs had been to his/her health and well-being.
Interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, how important was your use of natural herbs in maintaining your health and well-being? Would you say very important, somewhat important, slightly important, or not at all important?"
Similar variables are available that report the importance of other forms of complementary and alternative medicine for respondents' health and well-being.
- acupuncture (ACUIMPORT)
- ayurveda (AYUIMPORT)
- biofeedback (BIOIMPORT)
- chelation (CHEIMPORT)
- chiropractic care (COMIMPORT)
- special diets (DITIMPORT)
- energy healing therapy (EHTIMPORT)
- folk medicine (FOKIMPORT)
- homeopathy (HOMIMPORT)
- hypnosis (HYPIMPORT)
- massage (MASIMPORT)
- naturopathy (NATIMPORT)
- prayer/spiritual healing (PRAIMPORT)
- relaxation techniques (RELIMPORT)
- yoga, tai chi, or qi gong (YTQIMPORT)
- high dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYIMPORT)
Researchers interested in how important herbs were to a respondent's health may also wish to consult the following variables available for 2002:
- took herbal supplements to treat specific health problem, past 12 months (HERYTREAT)
- reasons for using herbal supplements, past 12 months (HERYINTER, HERYMEDCOST, HERYMEDFAIL, HERYHCREC, HERYCOMBIN)
For more information on the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2002: Sample adults 18+ who have used natural herbs for their own health during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT