Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had taken natural herbs for their health during the past 12 months (HERYR) and had used natural herbs to treat a specific health problem or condition (HERYTREAT), HERYMEDCOST indicates whether respondents had used natural herbs because conventional medical treatments were too expensive.
Other reasons for using natural herbs that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HERYINTER (Interesting to try)
- HERYHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- HERYMEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- HERYCOMBIN (Combined herbs with conventional treatment)
For information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used natural herbs for their health during the past 12 months and have used natural herbs to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT