Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had taken natural herbs for their health during the past 12 months (HERYR) and had used natural herbs to treat a specific health problem or condition (HERYTREAT), HERYHCREC indicates whether respondents had used natural herbs because a conventional medical professional had suggested that the respondent try such herbs.
Other reasons for using natural herbs that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HERYMEDCOST (Medical treatment too expensive)
- HERYINTER (Interesting to try)
- HERYMEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- HERYCOMBIN (Combined herbs with conventional treatment)
For information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used natural herbs for their health during the past 12 months and have used natural herbs to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT