Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used chiropractic care for their own health during the past 12 months (COMYR) and had used chiropractic care to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (COMTREAT), COMCON1 reports the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated with chiropractic care.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with chiropractic care. (See COMTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to COMCON1, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use chiropractic care?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in COMCON1, COMCON2, and COMCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much chiropractic care had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from chiropractic care for each of the three most bothersome conditions: COMCON1HELP, COMCON2HELP, and COMCON3HELP.
Variables similar to COMCON1, which report the first of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1)
- Chelation (CHECON1)
- Special diet (DITCON1)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1)
- Massage (MASCON1)
- Naturopathy (NATCON1)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON1)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON1)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1)
For more information on the full range of variables related to chiropractic care, see COMYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chiropractic care during the past 12 months and have used chiropractic care to treat at least one specific health care problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT