Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for a therapeutic movement technique during the past 12 months (MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, MOVTRAGYR) and had used a movement technique to treat a specific health problem or condition (MOVTREAT), MOVTEMPH indicates whether the person had used a movement technique to treat emphysema.
Emphysema was one of 57 possible specific conditions that sample adults (but not sample children) could report treating with a movement technique.
The other such conditions are:
- excessive use of alcohol or tobacco (MOVTALCTOB, 2007 only)
- angina (MOVTANGINA, 2007 only)
- back pain or problem (MOVTBACPAIN, 2007 only)
- bipolar disorder (MOVTBIPOL, 2007 only)
- birth defects (MOVTBIRTHD, 2007 only)
- anemia and blood disorders--adults (MOVTBLOOD, 2007 only)
- chronic bronchitis (MOVTCBRON, 2007 only)
- cholesterol (MOVTCHOL, 2007 only)
- coronary heart disease (MOVTCORON, 2007 only)
- other nerve damage, CTS (MOVTCTS, 2007 only)
- benign tumors or cysts (MOVTCYST, 2007 only)
- dementia including Alzheimer's disease (MOVTDEMENT, 2007 only)
- dental pain (MOVTDENPAIN, 2007 only)
- excessive sleepiness during the day (MOVTESLEEPY, 2007 only)
- fibromyalgia (MOVTFIBRO, 2007 only)
- fracture, bone or joint injury (MOVTFRACT, 2007 only)
- gout (MOVTGOUT, 2007 only)
- gynecologic problem (MOVTGYN, 2007 only)
- heart attack (MOVTHATT, 2007 only)
- hernia (MOVTHERN, 2007 only)
- hypertension (MOVTHYPER, 2007 only)
- inflammatory bowel disease (MOVTINFB, 2007 only)
- stomach or intestinal illness (MOVTINTEST, 2007 only)
- irritable bowel (MOVTIRRB, 2007 only)
- jaw pain (MOVTJAWPAIN, 2007 only)
- joint pain or stiffness/other joint condition (MOVTJNTPAIN, 2007 only)
- weak or failing kidneys (MOVTKIDNEY, 2007 only)
- poor circulation in legs (MOVTLCIRC, 2007 only)
- liver problem (MOVTLIVER, 2007 only)
- lupus (MOVTLUPUS, 2007 only)
- mania or psychosis (MOVTMANIA, 2007 only)
- memory loss or loss of other cognitive function (MOVTMEMLOS, 2007 only)
- menopause (MOVTMENOP, 2007 only)
- missing limbs (fingers, toes or digits), amputee (MOVTMLIMB, 2007 only)
- neck pain or problem (MOVTNECPAIN, 2007 only)
- circulation problems (other than in the legs) (MOVTNLCIRC, 2007 only)
- other allergies--adults (MOVTOALLA, 2007 only)
- other heart condition or disease (MOVTOHART)
- other infectious diseases (MOVTOINF, 2007 only)
- other injury (MOVTOINJ, 2007 only)
- knee problems (not arthritis, not joint injury) (MOVTOKNEE, 2007 only)
- osteoporosis, tendinitis (MOVTOSTEO, 2007 only)
- polio (myelitis), paralysis, para/quadriplegia (MOVTPOLIO, 2007 only)
- prostate trouble or impotence (MOVTPROST, 2007 only)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (MOVTRHEUM, 2007 only)
- schizophrenia (MOVTSCHIZ, 2007 only)
- senility (MOVTSENILE, 2007 only)
- skin problems--adults (MOVTSKINA, 2007 only)
- sprain or strain (MOVTSPRAIN, 2007 only)
- stress (MOVTSTRESS, 2007 only)
- stroke (MOVTSTROKE, 2007 only)
- substance abuse, other than alcohol or tobacco (MOVTSUBST, 2007 only)
- ulcer (MOVTULCER, 2007 only)
- varicose veins, hemorrhoids (MOVTVEIN, 2007 only)
Additionally, there are 30 other conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with movement. For the full list of conditions, see MOVTREAT.
Movement is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. In both 2002 and 2007, information about movement was collected on many topics (such as the cost of treatment); however, only the 2007 survey included questions about using movement to treat a standard list of specific conditions.
For most of the alternative health treatment modalities, the treatment of emphysema was reported for both 2002 and 2007. For two of the modalities--movement techniques and hypnosis--treatment of emphysema (and 115 other conditions) was included in 2007 only. (See HYPYR for more information.) For one modality--prayer--treatment of emphysema (and 73 other conditions) was reported in 2002 only. (See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of emphysema by alternative therapies other than movement techniques should see MOVALEXYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments, as well as for a summary of movement technique-related questions and definitions
MOVTEMPH is only available for 2007. Sample adults were asked about their use of most of the alternative health modalities to treat emphysema in 2002, but they were not asked about using movement techniques to treat emphysema or most other specific health conditions in 2002.
In 2007, sample adults were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use [fill: type of movement technique]?"
MOVTEMPH should be interpreted in conjunction with MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, and MOVTRAGYR, which indicate the specific movement technique (i.e., Alexander Technique, Feldenkreis, Pilates, or Trager Integration) used by the survey participant.
Sample adults who had used more than one type of movement technique in the past year were asked to choose which movement technique they had used the most (MOVTYPMOST). The survey form instructed field representatives, "If respondent cannot choose one movement technique, probe for the one most important for health." Field representatives then filled in the above survey question for MOVTEMPH with the movement technique indicated by MOVTYPMOST.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for movement technique during the past 12 months and have used movement technique for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT