Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for a therapeutic movement technique during the past 12 months (MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, MOVTRAGYR) and had used a movement technique to treat a specific health problem or condition (MOVTREAT), MOVTOINF indicates whether the person had used a movement technique to treat other infectious diseases.
Other infectious disease was one of 57 possible specific conditions that sample adults (but not sample children) could report treating with a movement technique.
The other such conditions are:
- angina (MOVTANGINA, 2007 only)
- excessive alcohol or tobacco (MOVTALCTOB, 2007 only)
- back pain or problem (MOVTBACPAIN, 2007 only)
- birth defect (MOVTBIRTHD, 2007 only)
- bipolar disorder (MOVTBIPOL, 2007 only)
- anemia and blood disorders (adults) (MOVTBLOOD, 2007 only)
- chronic bronchitis (MOVTCBRON, 2007 only)
- cholesterol (MOVTCHOL, 2007 only)
- coronary heart disease (MOVTCORON, 2007 only)
- other nerve damage, including carpal tunnel syndrome (MOVTCTS, 2007 only)
- benign tumors or cysts (MOVTCYST, 2007 only)
- dementia (MOVTDEMENT, 2007 only)
- dental pain (MOVTDENPAIN, 2007 only)
- emphysema (MOVTEMPH, 2007 only)
- excessive sleepiness during the day (MOVTESLEEPY, 2007 only)
- fracture, bone or joint injury (MOVTFRACT, 2007 only)
- fibromyalgia (MOVTFIBRO, 2007 only)
- gynecologic problem (MOVTGYN, 2007 only)
- gout (MOVTGOUT, 2007 only)
- heart attack (MOVTHATT, 2007 only)
- hernia (MOVTHERN, 2007 only)
- hypertension (MOVTHYPER, 2007 only)
- inflammatory bowel disease (MOVTINFB, 2007 only)
- stomach or intestinal illness (MOVTINTEST, 2007 only)
- irritable bowel (MOVTIRRB, 2007 only)
- jaw pain (MOVTJAWPAIN, 2007 only)
- joint pain or stiffness/other joint condition (MOVTJNTPAIN, 2007 only)
- weak or failing kidneys (MOVTKIDNEY, 2007 only)
- poor circulation in legs (MOVTLCIRC, 2007 only)
- liver problem (MOVTLIVER, 2007 only)
- lupus (MOVTLUPUS, 2007 only)
- mania or psychosis (MOVTMANIA, 2007 only)
- memory loss or loss of other cognitive function (MOVTMEMLOS, 2007 only)
- menopause (MOVTMENOP, 2007 only)
- missing limbs (fingers, toes or digits), amputee (MOVTMLIMB, 2007 only)
- neck pain or problem (MOVTNECPAIN, 2007 only)
- circulation problems (other than in the legs) (MOVTNLCIRC, 2007 only)
- other allergies (adults) (MOVTOALLA, 2007 only)
- other heart condition or disease (MOVTOHART)
- other injury (MOVTOINJ, 2007 only)
- knee problems (not arthritis, not joint injury) (MOVTOKNEE, 2007 only)
- osteoporosis, tendinitis (MOVTOSTEO, 2007 only)
- polio (myelitis), paralysis, para/quadriplegia (MOVTPOLIO, 2007 only)
- prostate trouble or impotence (MOVTPROST, 2007 only)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (MOVTRHEUM, 2007 only)
- schizophrenia (MOVTSCHIZ, 2007 only)
- senility (MOVTSENILE, 2007 only)
- skin problems--adults (MOVTSKINA, 2007 only)
- sprain or strain (MOVTSPRAIN, 2007 only)
- stress (MOVTSTRESS, 2007 only)
- stroke (MOVTSTROKE, 2007 only)
- substance abuse, other than alcohol or tobacco (MOVTSUBST, 2007 only)
- ulcer (MOVTULCER, 2007 only)
- varicose veins, hemorrhoids (MOVTVEIN, 2007 only)
Additionally, there are 30 other conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with a movement technique. For the full list of conditions, see MOVTREAT.
Movement techniques is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. In both 2002 and 2007, information about movement techniques was collected on many topics (such as the cost of treatment); however, only the 2007 survey included questions about using a movement technique to treat a standard list of specific conditions. (See MOVALEXYR for more information.)
Persons could report treating other infectious diseases by 15 of the 16 alternative health modalities. The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only; however, other infectious diseases was not a specific condition recognized in 2002. (See PRASELFEV for more information about the treatment of specific conditions by prayer.) Analysts interested in the treatment of other infectious diseases by alternative therapies other than movement techniques should see MOVALEXYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments, as well as for a summary of other movement technique-related questions and definitions.
MOVTOINF is only available for 2007. Survey participants were not asked about using movement techniques to treat most specific health conditions in 2002, and other infectious diseases was not a condition covered by the CAM supplement in 2002.
In 2007, sample adults were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use [fill: type of movement technique]?"
MOVTOINF should be interpreted in conjunction with MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, and MOVTRAGYR, which indicate the specific movement technique (i.e., Alexander Technique, Feldenkreis, Pilates, or Trager Integration) used by the survey participant.
Sample adults who had used more than one type of movement technique in the past year were asked to choose which movement technique they had used the most (MOVTYPMOST). The survey form instructed field representatives, "If respondent cannot choose one movement technique, probe for the one most important for health." Field representatives then filled in the above survey question for MOVTOINF with the movement technique indicated by MOVTYPMOST.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for movement technique during the past 12 months and have used movement technique for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT