Codes and Frequencies
For female sample persons or adults, MAMEV reports whether she has ever had a mammogram. Respondents were told in the interview that a mammogram is an x-ray taken only of the breast by a machine that presses against the breast.
- MAMHAD1YR: Had mammogram, past 12 months
- MAMDR1YR: Doctor recommended mammogram in past 12 months
- MAMPCOST: Portion of cost paid for mammogram
- MAMLY: Reason for most recent mammogram
- MAMYNOEV2YR: Reason why no mammogram ever/in past 2 years
- MAMLDMO: Month of most recent mammogram
- MAMLDYR: Year of most recent mammogram
- MAMLNO: Time since most recent mammogram: Number of units
- MAMLTP: Time since most recent mammogram: Time period
- MAMLGYRE: Time since most recent mammogram: Rough time estimate
- MAMLGYRR1: Time since most recent mammogram: Grouped year recode 1 (2005 method)
- MAMLGYRR2: Time since most recent mammogram: Grouped year recode 2 (2000 method)
Apart from changes in the universe, there are no comparability issues. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the information was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 1987: Half of female sample persons age 40+ (excluded from CAEP supplement) who ever heard of mammogram.
- 1990: Female sample persons age 35+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement) who are female, age 30+, and have ever heard of a mammogram.
- 1998-2000; 2003; 2005; 2008; 2010; 2013; 2015; 2018: Female sample adults age 30+.
- 1987, 1990, 1992, 1998-2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018
- 1987, 1990, 1992, 1998-2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 : SAMPWEIGHT