Codes and Frequencies
For female sample persons or adults, MAMEV reports whether they have ever had a mammogram. If necessary, respondents were told in the interview that a mammogram is an x-ray taken only of the breast by a machine that presses against the breast. The 2021 Field Representative's Manual further elaborates that, "A Mammogram is an X-ray picture of the breast that doctors use to look for early signs of breast cancer."
Beginning in 2019, MAMEV is collected every other year as part of a rotating core set of NHIS survey content covering preventive screening services. The 2021 Field Representatives Manual states:
- MAMHAD1YR: Had mammogram, past 12 months
- MAMDR1YR: Doctor recommended mammogram in past 12 months
- MAMPCOST: Portion of cost paid for mammogram
- MAMLY: Reason for most recent mammogram
- MAMYNOEV2YR: Reason why no mammogram ever/in past 2 years
- MAMLDMO: Month of most recent mammogram
- MAMLDYR: Year of most recent mammogram
- MAMLNO: Time since most recent mammogram: Number of units
- MAMLTP: Time since most recent mammogram: Time period
- MAMLGYRE: Time since most recent mammogram: Rough time estimate
- MAMLGYRR1: Time since most recent mammogram: Grouped year recode 1 (2005 method)
- MAMLGYRR2: Time since most recent mammogram: Grouped year recode 2 (2000 method)
Apart from changes in the universe and the questionnaire redesign introduced in 2019, there are no comparability issues prior to 2019. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the information was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights. Additionally, the NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1987: Half of female sample persons age 40+ (excluded from CAEP supplement) who ever heard of a mammogram(MAMHREV).
- 1990: Female sample persons age 35+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement) who are female, age 30+, and have ever heard of a mammogram(MAMHREV).
- 1998-2000; 2003; 2005; 2008; 2010; 2013; 2015; 2018: Female sample adults age 30+.
- 2019; 2021: Female sample adults age 30+.
- 1987, 1990, 1992, 1998-2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018-2019, 2021
- 1987, 1990, 1992, 1998-2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018-2019, 2021 : SAMPWEIGHT