Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used folk medicine for their own health during the past 12 months (FOKYR) and had used folk medicine to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (FOKTREAT), FOKCON2HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using folk medicine to treat the second of the three conditions considered most bothersome (FOKCON2).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with folk medicine. (See FOKTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to FOKCON1, FOKCON2, and FOKCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use folk medicine?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think folk medicine helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in FOKCON1HELP, FOKCON2HELP, and FOKCON3HELP.
Variables similar to FOKCON2HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the second of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON2HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON2HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON2HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2HELP)
- Massage (MASCON2HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON2HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON2HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to folk medicine, see FOKYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for folk medicine during the past 12 months and have used folk medicine for a specific health problem or condition and the health problem or condition specified was listed second as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT