Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong for their own health during the past 12 months and had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (YTQTREAT), YTQCON2HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat the second of the three conditions considered most bothersome (YTQCON2).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong. (See YTQTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to YTQCON1, YTQCON2, and YTQCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in YTQCON1HELP, YTQCON2HELP, and YTQCON3HELP.
Variables similar to YTQCON2HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the second of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON2HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON2HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON2HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON2HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2HELP)
- Massage (MASCON2HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON2HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2HELP)
Please see drop down menus for more information on the full range of variables related to yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have practiced yoga, tai chi, or qi gong for their own health during the past 12 months, and have used one these practices for a specific health problem, and the health problem or condition specified was listed second as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT