Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong for their own health during the past 12 months and had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (YTQTREAT), YTQCON3 reports the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong. (See YTQTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to YTQCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in YTQCON1, YTQCON2, and YTQCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong for each of the three most bothersome conditions: YTQCON1HELP, YTQCON2HELP, and YTQCON3HELP.
Variables similar to YTQCON3, which report the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON3)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3)
- Chelation (CHECON3)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3)
- Special diet (DITCON3)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON3)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3)
- Massage (MASCON3)
- Naturopathy (NATCON3)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON3)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3)
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have practiced yoga, tai chi, or qi gong for their health during the past 12 months and have used at least one of these practices for a specific health problem or condition..
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT