Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used acupuncture for their own health during the past 12 months (ACUYR) and had used acupuncture to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (ACUTREAT), ACUCON3 reports the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated with acupuncture.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with acupuncture. (See ACUTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to ACUCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use acupuncture?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in ACUCON1, ACUCON2, and ACUCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much acupuncture had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from acupuncture for each of the three most bothersome conditions: ACUCON1HELP, ACUCON2HELP, and ACUCON3HELP.
Variables similar to ACUCON3, which report the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3)
- Chelation (CHECON3)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3)
- Special diet (DITCON3)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON3)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3)
- Massage (MASCON3)
- Naturopathy (NATCON3)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON3)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON3)
For more information on the full range of variables related to acupuncture, see ACUYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for acupuncture during the past 12 months and have used acupuncture to treat at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT