Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used chelation for their own health during the past 12 months (CHEYR) and had used chelation to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (CHETREAT), CHECON3 reports the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated with chelation.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with chelation. (See CHETREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to CHECON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use chelation?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in CHECON1, CHECON2, and CHECON3.
Respondents were also asked how much chelation had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from chelation for each of the three most bothersome conditions: CHECON1HELP, CHECON2HELP, and CHECON3HELP.
Variables similar to CHECON3, which report the third of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON3)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON3)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON3)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON3)
- Special diet (DITCON3)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON3)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON3)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON3)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON3)
- Massage (MASCON3)
- Naturopathy (NATCON3)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON3)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON3)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON3)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON3)
For more information on the full range of variables related to chelation, see CHEYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months and have used chelation therapy for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT