Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used relaxation techniques for their own health during the past 12 months (RELAXYR) and had used relaxation techniques to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (RELTREAT), RELCON2HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using relaxation techniques to treat the second of the three conditions considered most bothersome (RELCON2).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with relaxation techniques. (See RELTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to RELCON1, RELCON2, and RELCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use relaxation techniques?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think relaxation techniques helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in RELCON1HELP, RELCON2HELP, and RELCON3HELP.
Variables similar to RELCON2HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the second of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON2HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON2HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON2HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON2HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2HELP)
- Massage (MASCON2HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON2HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to relaxation techniques, see RELAXYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT