Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used biofeedback for their own health during the past 12 months (BIOYR) and had used biofeedback to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (BIOTREAT), BIOCON2HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using biofeedback to treat the second of the three conditions considered most bothersome (BIOCON2).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with biofeedback. (See BIOTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to BIOCON1, BIOCON2, and BIOCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use biofeedback?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think biofeedback helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in BIOCON1HELP, BIOCON2HELP, and BIOCON3HELP.
Variables similar to BIOCON2HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the second of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON2HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON2HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON2HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2HELP)
- Massage (MASCON2HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON2HELP)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON2HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to biofeedback, see BIOYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for biofeedback during the past 12 months, who used biofeedback to treat a specific health problem or condition, and the health problem or condition was listed second as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT