Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used biofeedback for their own health during the past 12 months (BIOYR) and had used biofeedback to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (BIOTREAT), BIOCON2 reports the second of the three most bothersome conditions treated with biofeedback.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with biofeedback. (See BIOTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to BIOCON2, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use biofeedback?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in BIOCON1, BIOCON2, and BIOCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much biofeedback had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from biofeedback for each of the three most bothersome conditions: BIOCON1HELP, BIOCON2HELP, and BIOCON3HELP.
Variables similar to BIOCON2, which report the second of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2)
- Chelation (CHECON2)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2)
- Special diet (DITCON2)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON2)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2)
- Massage (MASCON2)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON2)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON2)
For more information on the full range of variables related to biofeedback, see BIOYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for biofeedback during the past 12 months and have used biofeedback for at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT