Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used folk medicine for their own health during the past 12 months (FOKYR) and had used folk medicine to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (FOKTREAT), FOKCON2 reports the second of the three most bothersome conditions treated with folk medicine.
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with folk medicine. (See FOKTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to FOKCON2, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use folk medicine?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?" These three conditions are reported in FOKCON1, FOKCON2, and FOKCON3.
Respondents were also asked how much folk medicine had helped the three conditions reported to be most bothersome. The following variables report the degree of help from folk medicine for each of the three most bothersome conditions: FOKCON1HELP, FOKCON2HELP, and FOKCON3HELP.
Variables similar to FOKCON2, which report the second of the three most bothersome conditions treated by other modalities of alternative medicine, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON2)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON2)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON2)
- Chelation (CHECON2)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON2)
- Special diet (DITCON2)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON2)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON2)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON2)
- Massage (MASCON2)
- Naturopathy (NATCON2)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON2)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON2)
- High dose or megavitamin therapy (VITYCON2)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON2)
For more information on the full range of variables related to folk medicine, see FOKYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for folk medicine during the past 12 months and have used folk medicine for at least one specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT