Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had taken two or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMO) and had taken the second herbal supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition (HER2TREAT), HER2TSUBST indicates whether the person had used an herbal supplement to treat other substance abuse.
Other substance abuse was one of 57 possible specific conditions that sample adults (but not sample children) could report treating with herbal supplements in 2007.
The other such conditions are:
- alcohol or tobacco use (HER2TALCTOB)
- dementia, including Alzheimer's disease (HER2TDEMENT)
- angina (HER2TANGINA)
- back pain or problem (HER2TBACPAIN)
- bipolar disorder (HER2TBIPOL)
- birth defect (HER2TBIRTHD)
- anemia and blood disorders--adults (HER2TBLOOD)
- chronic bronchitis (HER2TCBRON)
- cholesterol (HER2TCHOL)
- coronary heart disease (HER2TCORON)
- other nerve damage, including carpal tunnel syndrome (HER2TCTS)
- benign tumors or cysts (HER2TCYST)
- dental pain (HER2TDENPAIN)
- emphysema (HER2TEMPH)
- excessive sleepiness during the day (HER2TESLEEPY)
- fibromyalgia (HER2TFIBRO)
- fracture, bone or joint injury (HER2TFRACT)
- gout (HER2TGOUT)
- gynecologic problem (HER2TGYN)
- heart attack (HER2THATT)
- hernia (HER2THERN)
- hypertension (HER2THYPER)
- inflammatory bowel disease (HER2TINFB)
- stomach or intestinal illness (HER2TINTEST)
- irritable bowel (HER2TIRRB)
- jaw pain (HER2TJAWPAIN)
- joint pain or stiffness/other joint condition (HER2TJNTPAIN)
- weak or failing kidneys (HER2TKIDNEY)
- poor circulation in legs (HER2TLCIRC)
- liver problem (HER2TLIVER)
- lupus (HER2TLUPUS)
- mania or psychosis (HER2TMANIA)
- memory loss or loss of other cognitive function (HER2TMEMLOS)
- menopause (HER2TMENOP)
- missing limbs (fingers, toes or digits), amputee (HER2TMLIMB)
- neck pain or problem (HER2TNECPAIN)
- circulation problems (other than in the legs) (HER2TNLCIRC)
- other allergies--adults (HER2TOALLA)
- other heart condition or disease (HER2TOHART)
- other infectious diseases (HER2TOINF)
- other injury (HER2TOINJ)
- knee problems (not arthritis, not joint injury) (HER2TOKNEE)
- osteoporosis, tendinitis (HER2TOSTEO)
- polio (myelitis), paralysis, para/quadriplegia (HER2TPOLIO)
- prostate trouble or impotence (HER2TPROST)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (HER2TRHEUM)
- schizophrenia (HER2TSCHIZ)
- senility (HER2TSENILE)
- skin problems--adults (HER2TSKINA)
- sprain or strain (HER2TSPRAIN)
- stress (HER2TSTRESS)
- stroke (HER2TSTROKE)
- ulcer (HER2TULCER)
- varicose veins, hemorrhoids (HER2TVEIN)
Additionally, there are 30 other conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with herbal supplements in 2007. For the full list of conditions, see HER2TREAT.
Persons taking more than one herbal supplement during the past 30 days were asked whether their first herbal supplement was used to treat a specific problem or condition (HER1TREAT) and, if so, what was that condition. Similarly, persons taking vitamin supplements during the past 30 days (VITMO) were asked whether those vitamin supplements were used to treat a specific condition (see VIT1TREAT and VIT2TREAT).
HER2MOST reports the specific second herbal supplement (out of 45 possible herbs) that was taken most often by the respondent. Analysts interested in the treatment of other substance abuse by other herbal or vitamin supplements should see the related variables HER1TSUBST, VIT1TSUBST, and VIT2TSUBST. The corresponding variables HER2MOST, VIT1MOST, and VIT2MOST indicate which herbal or vitamin supplement was taken.
Sample adults, but not sample children, were also asked about their use of herbal supplements to prevent (rather than to treat) health problems or conditions (HER1PREV and HER2PREV). Researchers interested in the use of herbal supplements to prevent other substance abuse should see HER1PSUBST and HER2PSUBST. For more information on the full range of variables related to the use of herbal supplements, see HERMO.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken two or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days and took the second herbal supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ who have reported having at least one top CAM therapy and using this therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007, 2012