Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults and sample children whose sleep had been disturbed due to wheezing or whistling in the past 12 months(WHEZSLEEP), WHEZSLEEPNO reports answers to the follow-up question, "During the past 12 months, on average, how many times per week has your sleep been disturbed due to wheezing or whistling?" Only sample adults and sample children who had a wheezing or whistling sound in their chest during the past 12 months (WHEZYR) were asked about the effect of wheezing or whistling on sleep.
Other variables based on follow-up questions to those who answered affirmatively to WHEZYR include:
- Number wheezing attacks (WHEZATAKNO)
- Chest sounds wheezy after exercise (WHEZEXER)
- Wheezing ever limits speech (WHEZBARTALK)
- Number doctor/hospital ER visits for wheezing (WHEZVISITNO)
- How much wheezing limited activity (WHEZLIMITACT)
- Days missed due to wheezing (WHEZDAYR)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under age 18 who have had wheezing/whistling in chest during past 12 months which has disturbed their sleep.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT