Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults and sample children who had wheezing or whistling in their chest during the past 12 months (WHEZYR), WHEZLIMITACT reports the amount that the person's activities were limited due to wheezing. Interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, how much did you limit your usual activities due to wheezing or whistling? Would you say: not at all, a little, a fair amount, a moderate amount, or a lot?" and handed respondents a flashcard listing these acceptable responses.
Those who selected "a little," "a fair amount," "a moderate amount," or "a lot" as the appropriate response to WHEZLIMITACT were further asked, "During the past 12 months, how many days of work/school did you miss due to wheezing or whistling?" (WHEZDAYR)
Other variables based on follow-up questions to those who answered affirmatively to WHEZYR include:
- Number wheezing attacks (WHEZATAKNO)
- Wheezing disturbs sleep (WHEZSLEEP)
- Times per week wheezing disturbed sleep (WHEZSLEEPNO)
- Chest sounds wheezy after exercise (WHEZEXER)
- Wheezing ever limits speech (WHEZBARTALK)
- Number doctor/hospital ER visits for wheezing (WHEZVISITNO)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under age 18 who had wheezing/whistling in chest during past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT