Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults and sample children who had wheezing or whistling in their chest during the past 12 months (WHEZYR), WHEZBARTALK identifies those who reported that their wheezing had "ever been severe enough to limit your speech to only 1 or 2 words at a time between breaths."
An affirmative response in WHEZBARTALK may indicate that the person ever had a severe asthma attack. According to the on-line Merck Manuals: Home Edition, "In a very severe asthma attack, a person is able to say only a few words without stopping to take a breath."
Other variables based on follow-up questions to those who answered affirmatively to WHEZYR include:
- Number wheezing attacks (WHEZATAKNO)
- Wheezing disturbs sleep (WHEZSLEEP)
- Times per week wheezing disturbed sleep (WHEZSLEEPNO)
- Chest sounds wheezy after exercise (WHEZEXER)
- Number doctor/hospital ER visits for wheezing (WHEZVISITNO)
- How much wheezing limited activity (WHEZLIMITACT)
- Days missed due to wheezing (WHEZDAYR)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under age 18 who had wheezing/whistling in chest during past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT