Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over SCFBICIBSYR indicates if respondents had any of four conditions in the past 12 months: a spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or irritable bowel syndrome. Respondents who answered affirmatively were then asked to specify which one(s) or could provide a similar condition (OSBCONYR had similar bowel condition), and this response was recorded verbatim. These terms were all respondent defined.
The Supplement on Digestive Disorders had 3 sections. The first section asked respondents if they ever had specific conditions, such gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, and if they had them in the past 12 months, as well as treatment of these conditions. The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Variables for the four specific conditions are included in the 1989 survey.
- SPASCYR had spastic colon, past 12 months
- IRCOLYR had an irritable colon, past 12 months
- IRRBOWELYR had irritable bowel syndrome, past 12 months
- BOWELFUNYR had functional bowel, past 12 months
SCFBICIBSYR was part of the 1989 survey
Other variables for conditions in the last 12-months include:
- DIVYR had diverticulitis, past 12 months
- GALS12 had gallstones, past 12 months
- GALOTT12 had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble , past 12 months
- ULCERYR had an ulcer, past 12 months
- HEMHOIDYR had hemorrhoids, past 12 months
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT