Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over HEMHOIDYR indicates if respondents had hemorrhoids in the past 12 months. The term hemorrhoid was respondent defined, as a definition was not provided in the survey or Field Representative's Manual.
The Supplement on Digestive Disorders had 3 sections. The first section asked respondents if they ever had specific conditions, such gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, and if they had them in the past 12 months, as well as treatment of these conditions. The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Other variables related to hemorrhoids are included in the 1989 survey.
- HEMDIAGEV doctor ever diagnosed hemorrhoids
- HEMSURGEV ever had surgery for hemorrhoids
Variables for conditions in the last 12-months include:
- GALS12 had gallstones, past 12 months
- GALOTT12 had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble , past 12 months
- ULCERYR had an ulcer, past 12 months
- SPASCYR had spastic colon, past 12 months
- IRCOLYR had irritable colon, past 12 months
- OSBCONYR had similar bowel condition, past 12 months
- IRRBOWELYR had irritable bowel syndrome, past 12 months
- BOWELFUNYR had functional bowel, past 12 months
- DIVYR had diverticulitis, past 12 months
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT