Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over DIVYR indicates if respondents had diverticulitis in the past 12 months. The term diverticulitis was respondent defined, as a definition was not provided in the survey or Field Representative's Manual. According to the National Library of Medicine, diverticulitis is an inflammation of an abnormal pouch in the intestinal wall.
The Supplement on Digestive Disorders had 3 sections. The first section asked about specific conditions, such as DIVEV and gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, as well as treatment of these conditions. The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Other variables for diverticulitis are included in the 1989 survey.
- DIVEV ever had diverticulitis
- DIVDIAGTIM time since diverticulitis diagnosed
- DIVHOSPEV ever hospitalized overnight for diverticulitis
- DIVHOSPTIM time since hospitalized overnight for diverticulitis
Other variables for conditions in the past 12 months include:
- GALS12 had gallstones, past 12 months
- GALOTT12 had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble , past 12 months
- ULCERYR had an ulcer, past 12 months
- SPASCYR had spastic colon, past 12 months
- IRCOLYR had irritable colon, past 12 months
- OSBCONYR had similar bowel condition, past 12 months
- IRRBOWELYR had irritable bowel syndrome, past 12 months
- BOWELFUNYR had functional bowel, past 12 months
- HEMHOIDYR had hemorrhoids, past 12 months
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+ who ever had diverticulitis.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT