Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 18 and over OSBCONYR indicates if respondents had a similar bowel condition, in addition to four bowel conditions specified in the interview, in the past 12 months. Respondents were asked if, in the past 12 months, they had a spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or irritable bowel syndrome and were then asked to specify which one(s); or they could respond with a similar condition, which was recorded verbatim, These terms were respondent defined.
OSBCONYR was part of the 1989 survey Supplement on Digestive Disorders which had 3 sections. The first section asked respondents if they ever had specific conditions, such gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions, and if they had them in the past 12 months, as well as treatment of these conditions. The second section in the Digestive Disorder Supplement asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which such as ABGASTRUBYR, had trouble with abdominal gas in the past 12 months.
Variables for conditions in the last 12-months are included in the 1989 survey.
- GALS12 had gallstones, past 12 months
- GALOTT12 had other (non-gallstone) gallbladder trouble , past 12 months
- ULCERYR had an ulcer, past 12 months
- SPASCYR had spastic colon, past 12 months
- HEMHOIDYR had hemorrhoids, past 12 months
- IRCOLYR had an irritable colon, past 12 months
- IRRBOWELYR had irritable bowel syndrome, past 12 months
- BOWELFUNYR had functional bowel, past 12 months
- DIVYR had diverticulitis, past 12 months
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+ who had spastic colon, functional bowel, irritable colon, or iritable bowel syndrome in the past 12 months.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT