Codes and Frequencies
For respondents that do not currently use a hearing aid, but have used one the past (HRAEV is "2" and HRANOW is "1"), this variable indicates whether a hearing specialist, doctor or other health professional ever recommended that the respondent wear a hearing aid.
In 2007, the question for HRAREC was part of a supplement on hearing. For a broader description of the variables in the 2007 hearing supplement, see the description for HEARING, quality of hearing without hearing aid, available for 1997 to 2007.
Other variables related to the use of hearing aids also available in the 2007 survey.
- how long used hearing aid (now use) (HRANOWLNG)
- how long hearing aid used in the past (HRAPASTLNG)
- how often used hearing aid in the past (HRAPASTOFT)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid, past 12 months (HRAFREQ 2002, 2007)
- use of an assistive listening device (see HRALDUSE for full list of devices; 1990, 2007)
- why not use hearing aid (see HRANOHELP for full list of reasons why respondent does not use aid)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who do not now use a hearing aid and have not used one in the past.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT