Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who currently have a hearing aid, but have not used one in the past 12 months, or who have ever used a hearing aid (but not currently), or who have had a hearing aid recommended, HRANOHELP indicates that the reason why the respondent does not use the aid is because they feel it didn't help.
In 2007, the question for HRANOHELP was part of a supplement on hearing. For a broader description of the variables in the 2007 hearing supplement, see the description for HEARING, quality of hearing without hearing aid, available for 1997 to 2007.
Other reasons for non-use of the hearing aids are included in the 2007 survey.
- hearing aid was too loud (HRANOLOUD)
- hearing aid "whistled"(HRANOWHIST)
- hearing aid was uncomfortable (HRANODISCOM)
- hearing aid frequently broke (HRANOBREAK)
- didn't like the look (HRANOLOOK)
- cost too much (HRANOCOST)
- didn't need it (HRANONEED)
- other reason (HRANOTHER)
Other variables related to the use of hearing aids include:
- ever used a hearing aid (HRAEV)
- health professional recommended hearing aid (HRAREC)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid (HRAFREQ)
- how long hearing aid used (current users) (HRANOWLNG)
- how long used hearing aid in the past (HRAPASTLNG)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid, past 12 months (HRAFREQ 2002, 2007)
- use of an assistive listening device (see HRALDUSE for full list of devices; 1990, 2007)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who currently have a hearing aid, but have not used one in the past 12 months, or who have ever used a hearing aid but not currently, or who have had a hearing aid recommended.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT