Codes and Frequencies
For respondents that currently use a hearing aid, HRANOWLNG indicates how long the respondent used the hearing aid. Respondents could indicate one of seven response categories that ranged from "less than 6 weeks" to "15 years or more."
In 2007, the question for HRANOWLNG was part of a supplement on hearing. For a broader description of the variables in the 2007 hearing supplement, see the description for HEARING, quality of hearing without hearing aid, available for 1997 to 2007.
Other variables related to the use of hearing aids also available in 2007.
- ever used a hearing aid (HRAEV)
- health professional recommended hearing aid (HRAREC)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid (HRAFREQ)
- how long hearing aid used in the past (HRAPASTLNG)
- how often used hearing aid in the past (HRAPASTOFT)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid, past 12 months (HRAFREQ 2002, 2007)
- use of an assistive listening device (see HRALDUSE for full list of devices; 1990, 2007)
- why not use hearing aid (see HRANOHELP for full list of reasons why respondent does not use aid)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who now use hearing aid.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT