Codes and Frequencies
For respondents that ever used a hearing aid but do not currently, HRAPASTOFT indicates how often the respondent used the hearing aid. Respondents could indicate one of six response categories: "always," "usually," "about half the time," "seldom," or "never."
In 2007, the question for HRAPASTOFT was part of a supplement on hearing. For a broader description of the variables in the 2007 hearing supplement, see the description for HEARING, quality of hearing without hearing aid, available for 1997 to 2007.
Other variables related to the use of hearing aids also available in the 2007 survey.
- ever used a hearing aid (HRAEV)
- health professional recommended hearing aid (HRAREC)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid (HRAFREQ)
- how long hearing aid used (current users) (HRANOWLNG)
- how long used hearing aid in the past (HRAPASTLNG)
- frequency of wearing hearing aid, past 12 months (HRAFREQ 2002, 2007)
- use of an assistive listening device (see HRALDUSE for full list of devices; 1990, 2007)
- why not use hearing aid (see HRANOHELP for full list of reasons why respondent does not use aid)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used hearing aid in the past but not currently.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT