Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults 18 and older who used a hearing aid, HRAFREQ indicates how often respondents use their hearing aid(s). HRAFREQ is an item on the Extended Washington Group Set on Functioning (WG-ES). Additional information about the Washington Group measures is provided below.
In 2019, functioning and disability measures included on the NHIS questionnaire were modified to align with validated, internationally-comparable disability measures developed by the Washington Group on Disability Statistics (WG). For more information about the WG initiative, other WG functioning and disability measures included on the NHIS questionnaire, and guidance for researchers about how to use the WG measures in analyses, please see our user note on the Washington Group Disability Measures.
There are several universe changes over time. Beginning in 2018, this item was included on the sample adult questionnaire. Please refer to the "Universe" tab for specific information on universe changes. As always, users should employ the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
Questionnaire design changes introduced in 2019 limit comparability with earlier years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under age 18 who have ever worn a hearing aid.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who now use a hearing aid.
- 2010: One quarter of sample adults age 18+ included in the quality of life supplement (and excluded from the family disability supplemement) who use a hearing aid.
- 2011: Sample adults 18+ who were selected for the Family Disability questions and who use a hearing aid.
- 2013-2017: Sample adults 18+ who were asked the Family Disability Questions (FDB), were randomly selected to receive the Functioning and Disability (AFD) section, and used a hearing aid.
- 2018: Sample adults 18+ who used a hearing aid.
- 2019: Sample adults 18+ who use a hearing aid (HRAUSES).
- 2002, 2007, 2010-2019