SUPP1WT is a 9-digit-numeric variable.
0: Not in Universe
SUPP1WT is an IPUMS NHIS-constructed variable that harmonizes the sampling weights for a select subset of the supplements of the original NHIS public use files. In this case, harmonization refers to putting weights from various years and source supplement files into a single, consistently named variable.
The majority of weights included in SUPP1WT come from the supplement surveys for childhood immunization (years 1992-2003), smoking (1978-1980), family medical expenses (1975-1976), and AIDS knowledge and attitudes (1987-1995). In some cases, SUPP1WT represents a randomly selected person from a household; for example, a sample person age 18 and older was selected for the 1990 AIDS supplement. In other cases, the survey was also administered to all persons within a specific age group; for example, the 1998 childhood immunization supplement was administered to a sample child under 18 plus all children age 12-35 months. SUPP1WT represents the inverse probability of selection into a supplement, adjusted for non-response with additional post-stratification adjustments for age, race/ethnicity, and sex using the Census Bureau's population control totals.
Beginning in 2011, the weights included in SUPP1WT are associated with variables from the Functioning and Disability supplement.
Users should review the documentation for extracted variables--most notably the "Weights" section toward the top of each variable description--to ascertain which weight is the appropriate choice for a given survey year. See the User Notes on the use of sampling weights for additional information.
- 1974: Sample person.
- 1975: All persons in Qt 1 and Sample persons age 19+ in Qt 3 and Qt 4.
- 1976: All persons in Qt 1.
- 1978; 1980: Sample persons age 17+ in Qt 3 and Qt 4.
- 1979: Sample persons age 17+
- 1983; 1989; 1990; 1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1987: Sample persons age 18+ in Qt 3 (starting with 5th week) and Qt 4.
- 1988: Sample persons age 18+ in Qt 2-Qt 4.
- 1992: Sample persons under age 6 and half of Sample persons age 18+.
- 1993: Sample persons age 18+ in Qt 3 and Qt 4 and Sample persons under age 6.
- 1994; 1995: Sample persons under age 6 and all persons age 19-35 months and half of Sample persons age 18+.
- 1996: Sample persons under age 6 and all persons age 19-35 months.
- 1997: Sample child under age 18 and all children age 19-35 months (Qt 1-2) and all children age 12-35 (Qt 3-4).
- 1998-2002: Sample child under age 18 and all children age 12-35 months.
- 2003: Sample child under age 18.
- 2008: Persons in quarter 4 who received the family disability test questions.
- 2009: Persons who received the family disability test questions.
- 2010: One quarter of sample persons age 18+, who received the quality of life supplement questions (and were not included in the family disability supplement).
- 2011-2017: Adults who received the Adult Functioning and Disability questions.
- 1974-1976, 1978-1980, 1983, 1987-2003, 2008-2017
- 2010-2017 : SUPP1WT