Codes and Frequencies
For sample children in 2007 who had taken two or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMO) and had taken the second herbal supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition (HER2TREAT), HER2TFALL indicates whether the child had used an herbal supplement to treat an allergy to food.
Allergy to food was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with herbal supplements.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (HER2TABDOM)
- acne (HER2TACNE)
- anemia -- children (HER2TANEMC)
- back or neck pain (HER2TBNPAIN)
- colitis (HER2TCOLIT)
- congenital heart disease (HER2TCONGHD)
- Down syndrome (HER2TDOWN)
- ear infections (HER2TEARINF)
- eczema or skin allergy (HER2TECZEM)
- fatigue (HER2TFATIG)
- fever (HER2TFEVER)
- cystic fibrosis (HER2TFIBROS)
- incontinence (HER2TINCON)
- muscular dystrophy (HER2TMUSCD)
- neurological problems (HER2TNEUROL)
- other allergies -- children (HER2TOALLC)
- other heart conditions -- children (HER2TOHARTC)
- other chronic pain (HER2TOTHPAIN)
- cerebral palsy (HER2TPALSY)
- chicken pox (HER2TPOX)
- respiratory allergy (HER2TRALL)
- sickle cell anemia (HER2TSICKL)
- other skin problems--children (HER2TSKINC)
- non-strep sore throat (HER2TSORET)
- stammering or stuttering (HER2TSTAM)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (HER2TSTREP)
- nausea or vomiting (HER2TVOMIT)
- warts (HER2TWART)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with herbal supplements. For the full list of conditions, see HER2TREAT.
Persons taking more than one herbal supplement during the past 30 days were also asked whether the first herbal supplement was used to treat a specific problem or condition (HER1TREAT) and, if so, what was that condition. Similarly, persons taking vitamin supplements during the past 30 days (VITMO) were asked whether those vitamin supplements were used to treat a specific condition (see VIT1TREAT and VIT2TREAT).
HER2MOST reports the specific second herbal supplement (out of 45 possible herbs) that was taken most often by the respondent. Analysts interested in the treatment of an allergy to food by other herbal or vitamin supplements should see the related variables HER1TFALL, VIT1TFALL, and VIT2TFALL. The corresponding variables HER1MOST, VIT1MOST, and VIT2MOST indicate which herbal or vitamin supplement was taken.
Sample adults, but not sample children, were also asked about their use of herbal supplements to prevent (rather than to treat) health problems or conditions (HER1PREV and HER2PREV). Because an allergy to food was a condition recognized only for sample children, there is no variable on the use of herbal supplements to prevent an allergy to food. For more information on the full range of variables related to the use of herbal supplements, see HERMO.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have taken two or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days and took the second herbal supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children ages 4-17 who have reported having at least one top CAM therapy and using this therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007, 2012
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT
- 2012 : SUPP4WT