Codes and Frequencies
For sample children in 2007 who had taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMO) and had taken the first herbal supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition (HER1TREAT), HER1TFIBROS indicates whether the child had used an herbal supplement to treat cystic fibrosis.
Cystic fibrosis was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with herbal supplements.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (HER1TABDOM)
- acne (HER1TACNE)
- anemia -- children (HER1TANEMC)
- back or neck pain (HER1TBNPAIN)
- colitis (HER1TCOLIT)
- congenital heart disease (HER1TCONGHD)
- Down syndrome (HER1TDOWN)
- ear infections (HER1TEARINF)
- eczema or skin allergy (HER1TECZEM)
- allergy to food (HER1TFALL)
- fatigue (HER1TFATIG)
- fever (HER1TFEVER)
- incontinence (HER1TINCON)
- muscular dystrophy (HER1TMUSCD)
- neurological problems (HER1TNEUROL)
- other allergies -- children (HER1TOALLC)
- other heart conditions -- children (HER1TOHARTC)
- other chronic pain (HER1TOTHPAIN)
- cerebral palsy (HER1TPALSY)
- chicken pox (HER1TPOX)
- respiratory allergy (HER1TRALL)
- sickle cell anemia (HER1TSICKL)
- other skin problems--children (HER1TSKINC)
- non-strep sore throat (HER1TSORET)
- stammering or stuttering (HER1TSTAM)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (HER1TSTREP)
- nausea or vomiting (HER1TVOMIT)
- warts (HER1TWART)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with herbal supplements. For the full list of conditions, see HER1TREAT.
Persons taking more than one herbal supplement during the past 30 days were asked whether their second herbal supplement was used to treat a specific problem or condition (HER2TREAT) and, if so, what was that condition. Similarly, persons taking vitamin supplements during the past 30 days (VITMO) were asked whether those vitamin supplements were used to treat a specific condition (see VIT1TREAT and VIT2TREAT).
HER1MOST reports the specific first herbal supplement (out of 45 possible herbs) that was taken most often by the respondent. Analysts interested in the treatment of cystic fibrosis by other herbal or vitamin supplements should see the related variables HER2TFIBROS, VIT1TFIBROS, and VIT2TFIBROS. The corresponding variables HER2MOST, VIT1MOST, and VIT2MOST indicate which herbal or vitamin supplement was taken.
Sample adults, but not sample children, were also asked about their use of herbal supplements to prevent (rather than to treat) health problems or conditions (HER1PREV and HER2PREV). Because cystic fibrosis was a condition recognized only for sample children, there is no variable on the use of herbal supplements to prevent cystic fibrosis. For more information on the full range of variables related to the use of herbal supplements, see HERMO.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days and took the first herbal supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2012: Sample children ages 4-17 who have reported having at least one top CAM therapy and using this therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007, 2012
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT
- 2012 : SUPP4WT