EHTPAID is a 3-digit-numeric variable.
996: Not in Universe
998: Unknown-not ascertained
999: Unknown-don't know
For sample adults in 2007 who have seen a practitioner for energy healing therapy during the past 12 months (EHTYR), EHTPAID reports the respondent's average out-of-pocket cost, in dollars, for each visit to a practitioner for energy healing.
The 2002 and 2007 NHIS included supplements covering a range of alternative health practices (see ACUYR). Although information about the average out-of-pocket cost for energy healing is available only for 2007, data about whether any of the costs of energy healing were covered by insurance is available for 2002 (EHTINSURE).
In addition to including EHTPAID, the 2007 survey includes 19 other variables that provide data on the average out-of-pocket cost per visit to a practitioner or for a class for a particular alternative health modality, as well as data on the cost of alternative health materials purchased by the respondent. See ACUPAID for the full list.
- ayurveda (AYUPAID)
- biofeedback (BIOPAID)
- chelation (CHEPAID)
- chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation (COMPAID)
- special diet (DITPRACPAY)
- energy healing therapy (EHTPAID)
- folk medicine (FOKPAID)
- herbal medicines (HERPRACPAY)
- homeopathy (HOMPRACPAY)
- hypnosis (HYPPAID)
- massage (MASPAID)
- movement techniques (MOVPAID)
- naturopathy (NATPAID)
- relaxation techniques (RELCLASSPAY)
- yoga, Tai chi, Qi gong (YTQCLASSPAY)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for energy healing therapy during the past 12 months.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children age 4-17 who don't know the total amount they paid for energy healing in the past 12 months, but know the average per visit.
- 2007, 2012