ACUPAID is a 3-digit-numeric variable.
996: Not in Universe
998: Unknown-not ascertained
999: Unknown-don't know
For sample adults in 2007 who have seen a practitioner for acupuncture during the past 12 months (ACUYR), ACUPAID reports the respondent's average out-of-pocket cost, in dollars, for each visit to a practitioner for acupuncture.
The 2002 and 2007 NHIS included supplements covering a range of alternative health practices (see ACUYR). Although information about the average out-of-pocket cost for acupuncture is available only for 2007, data about whether any of the costs of acupuncture were covered by insurance is available for 2002 (ACUINSURE).
In addition to collecting information about the cost of visiting a practitioner for acupuncture, the 2007 survey includes data on the average out-of-pocket cost per visit to a practitioner or for a class for each of the following alternative treatment modalities:
- ayurveda (AYUPAID)
- biofeedback (BIOPAID)
- chelation (CHEPAID)
- chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation (COMPAID)
- special diet (DITPRACPAY)
- energy healing therapy (EHTPAID)
- folk medicine (FOKPAID)
- herbal medicines (HERPRACPAY)
- homeopathy (HOMPRACPAY)
- hypnosis (HYPPAID)
- massage (MASPAID)
- movement techniques (MOVPAID)
- naturopathy (NATPAID)
- relaxation techniques (RELCLASSPAY)
- yoga, Tai chi, Qi gong (YTQCLASSPAY)
The following variables also relate to payment for alternative health treatments, though they do not involve a practitioner or class:
- amount spent last time herbal supplements were purchased (HERPAMT)
- amount spent last time homeopathic medicine purchased (HOMPAID)
- amount paid for relaxation technique self-help materials (RELBOOKPAY)
- amount spent last time vitamin supplements were purchased (VITPAMT)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for acupuncture during the past 12 months.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children age 4-17 who don't know the total amount they paid for acupuncture in the past 12 months, but know the average per visit.
- 2007, 2012