Codes and Frequencies
For sample children aged 4 to 6 who had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior or being able to get along with others in the past 6 months (EMODIFF), DIFTDC indicates whether, in the past 6 months, the child received treatment or counseling for these difficulties at daycare, child care, or play group.
For children with an affirmative response in DIFTDC, interviewers asked, "Who provided the treatment or counseling?"
Possible responses were:
- School counselor, school nurse, or school social worker (DIFTDCCOUN)
- Speech, occupational, or physical therapist (DIFTDCTHER)
- Psychiatrist, psychologist, clinical social worker, psychiatric nurse (DIFTDCMHPROF)
- Pediatrician or family doctor
- Acupuncturist, massage therapist, chiropractor (DIFTDCCAM)
- Religious or spiritual counselor or advisor
- Probation or juvenile corrections officer or court counselor (DIFTDCCOURT)
- Other source
Information was also collected about treatment or counseling in other locations.
These other locations included:
- A special needs school (DIFTSPSCH)
- Regular school (DIFTSCHPROG)
- Office, clinic or center in community (DIFTOF)
- Home (DIFTHOM)
- Hospital emergency room, crisis center, or emergency shelter (DIFTER)
- Hospital or community day treatment program (DIFTHOS)
- Other place (DIFTOTH)
For each of these locations, interviewers asked who provided the treatment or counseling. The possible responses varied across locations.
- 2010-2013: Sample children age 4 to 6 who had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior, or getting along with others in the past 6 months.
- 2010-2013 : SAMPWEIGHT