Codes and Frequencies
For sample children aged 4 to 17 who had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior or being able to get along with others in the past 6 months (EMODIFF), DIFTER indicates whether, in the past 6 months, the child received treatment or counseling for these difficulties in a hospital emergency room, crisis center, or emergency shelter.
For children with an affirmative response in DIFTER, interviewers asked, "Who provided the treatment or counseling?"
Possible responses were:
- School counselor, school nurse, or school social worker (DIFTERCOUN)
- Speech, occupational, or physical therapist (DIFTERTHER)
- Psychiatrist, psychologist, clinical social worker, psychiatric nurse (DIFTERMHPROF)
- Pediatrician or family doctor
- Acupuncturist, massage therapist, chiropractor (DIFTERCAM)
- Religious or spiritual counselor or advisor
- Probation or juvenile corrections officer or court counselor (DIFTERCOURT)
- Other source
Beginning in 2011, the school counselor, school nurse, or school social worker (DIFTERCOUN) and the acupuncturist, massage therapist, or chiropractor (DIFTERCAM) were no longer offered as response categories.
Information was also collected about treatment or counseling in other locations.
These other locations included:
- A special needs school
- Regular school
- Daycare, child care, or play group
- Office, clinic or center in community
- Hospital or community day treatment program
- Other place
For each of these locations, interviewers asked who provided the treatment or counseling. The possible responses varied across locations.
Beginning in 2011, the interviewer asked for places other than school where the child was receiving treatment or counseling for these difficulties. Correspondingly, providers from school, such as a school counselor, school nurse, or school social worker (DIFTERCOUN) were not included in this question. Otherwise, there are no comparability issues.
- 2010-2013: Sample children age 4 to 17 who had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior, or getting along with others, past 6 months.
- 2010-2013 : SAMPWEIGHT