Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2002 and sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for chelation in the past 12 months (CHEYR) and had used chelation to treat a specific health problem or condition (CHETREAT), CHETFALL indicates whether the person had used chelation to treat allergy to food.
Allergy to food was one of 31 possible specific conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with chelation.
The other such conditions such are:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (CHETADD, 2007 only)
- anxiety (CHETANX, 2007 only)
- arthritis (CHETARTH, 2007 only)
- asthma (CHETASTH)
- autism (CHETAUT, 2007 only)
- cancer (CHETCANC)
- head or chest cold (CHETCOLD)
- constipation needing medication (CHETCONST, 2007 only)
- depression (CHETDEPRES, 2007 only)
- diabetes (CHETDIAB)
- influenza or pneumonia (CHETFLU, 2007 only)
- gum disease (CHETGUM, 2007 only)
- hay fever (CHETHAY)
- hearing problem (CHETHEAR)
- insomnia (CHETINSOM)
- menstrual problems (CHETMENST)
- migraine or severe headache (CHETMIG)
- other developmental problem (CHETODD)
- other lung or breathing problem (CHETOLUNG)
- other musculoskeletal problem (CHETOMUSC, 2007 only)
- phobias (CHETPHOBIA, 2007 only)
- acid reflux (CHETREFLUX, 2007 only)
- regular headaches (CHETREGHEAD, 2007 only)
- mental retardation (CHETRET)
- seizures (CHETSEIZ)
- sinusitis (CHETSINUS)
- urinary problem (CHETURIN)
- vision problem (CHETVISION)
- weight problem (CHETWEIGHT)
- other (CHETOTH1)
Additionally, there are 72 other conditions sample adults only could report treating with chelation, and 28 other conditions that could be reported for sample children only. For the full list of conditions, see CHETREAT.
Chelation is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report treating allergy to food by any of those methods, although 3 of the methods are not available as treatments for specific health problems in both years. Hypnosis and movement techniques were included as treatments for specific health problems in the 2007 survey only. See HYPYR and MOVALEXYR for more information. Conversely, prayer was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only, when just sample adults were asked about their use of alternative and complementary medicine. See PRASELFEV for more information. Analysts interested in the treatment of allergy to food by other alternative therapies should see CHEYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other chelation-related questions, including definitions.
The question wording differs slightly between sample adults and sample children. Sample adults in 2002 were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use chelation?" The question wording for sample children in 2007 emphasizes that the chelation treatment must have occurred within the past 12 months: "DURING THE PAST 12 MONTHS, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use chelation?" This difference in question wording is minimized, however, because two of the questions for sample adults preceding CHETFALL (CHEYR and CHENO) did specify the 12 month time frame. Persons were only asked the question for CHETFALL if they had earlier indicated in CHEYR that they had in fact seen a practitioner for chelation during the past 12 months.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months and have used chelation therapy for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007: Sample children under 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months and have used chelation therapy for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT