Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who have ever seen a health professional for symptoms of dizziness or a balance problem (not including health professionals seen in the emergency room) (BALSAWHPEV), BALSAWRADI indicates whether the respondent ever saw a radiologist or technician for MRI, CAT scan or ultrasound, for the balance problem.
In 2008, this variable was part of the Sample Adult Balance Supplement, sponsored by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
The supplement consisted of a total 205 questions (some of which were only asked based on a previous response). For a further description of the Supplement and a list of topics included in it, see BALDIZYR
This variable is one of 16 variables identifying specific types of health care practitioners that respondents had consulted for their balance or dizziness problems. Respondents could report seeing more than one type of professional. The other 15 health professionals are included in the /2008 Supplement.
- cardiologist, internist (BALSAWCARD)
- chiropractor (BALSAWCHIRO)
- dentist (BALSAWDENT)
- nutritionist (BALSAWDIET)
- ear, nose or throat doctor (BALSAWEARMD)
- eye doctor (BALSAWEYEDR)
- foot doctor (BALSAWFOOT)
- general practitioner (BALSAWGP)
- neurologist (BALSAWNEUR)
- gynecologist (BALSAWOBGYN)
- osteopath (BALSAWOSTEO)
- other health professional (BALSAWOTHP)
- psychologist (BALSAWPSYCH)
- nurse or nurse practitioner (BALSAWRN)
- occupational or physical therapist (BALSAWTHER)
Other variables related to the use of health services for balance problems can be found under:
- ever gone to the hospital for balance or dizziness problem (BALGOHOSPEV)
- feel that a health professional helped with the balance or dizziness problem (BALHPHELP)
- times since first saw health professional for balance or dizziness problem (BALHPTIM1ST)
- total number of health professionals seen for balance or dizziness problem (BALHPSEEN)
- Health professional diagnosed cause of balance problem (BALHPDIAG)
see this description for types of causes diagnosed)
- 2008: Sample adults age 18+ who have ever seen a health professional for symptoms of dizziness or a balance problem.
- 2008 : SAMPWEIGHT